These beautiful orange wild mushrooms – chanterelles (little foxes or lisichki in Russian) – are firm and full of forest flavour. They appear en masse in forests from early July to late September and are in big demand for the mushroom picking enthusiasts. One of the most popular type of mushroom in Russia, chanterelles are easy and fast to cook and the flavour is superb. Below is probably the most popular Russian recipe for chanterelles: sautéed chanterelles in sour cream with potatoes.
Chanterelles sautéed with potatoes, Russian recipe
- 1/2 kg (1 pound) fresh young firm chanterelle mushrooms
- 1 medium onion
- 6-8 small salad potatoes pre-boiled
- salt to taste
- dill seed or other herbs
- 1 tsp butter to sauté
- 1-2 Tbsp sour cream / cream fresh / Greek yogurt / smetana (optional)
- fresh parsley or dill to serve
1. Soak the chanterelles in luke warm water for 10 minutes. This will make the cleaning process much easier.
2. Meanwhile melt the butter in the wok or other deep pan and chop the onion. Start sautéing the onion in butter on low fire turning over from time to time.
3. Wash the chanterelles several times in large pot of water. Pick up all visible pine needles or dry leaves that could have ‘glued’ to the mushrooms or got stuck under the hats. Drain chanterelles well in the colander. Cut any larger chanterelles in half. Now the mushrooms are ready for cooking.
4. Add chanterelles to the onions, mix and sauté on medium to high heat for 5 minutes tossing the mushrooms several times. You will need the heat as chanterelles produce a lot of liquid while cooking. Add dill seeds or any other fresh or dried herbs to your liking. Salt to taste.
5. Cut the boiled potatoes in 2 or 4 parts depending of the potato size. Add the potatoes to the sautéed chanterelles, mix and sauté for another couple of minutes so that potatoes get warm inside. Add sour cream if you wish and mix well.
6. Serve as a main dish decorated with fresh herbs. Enjoy! It is a real nature’s food and it is delicious!
Please see our other mushroom recipes below