Liver pâté is an easy and quick yet delicious starter or appetizer (hour d’oeuvre) as well as sandwich filler. I’ve noticed that there are two categories of people out there: those who hate liver and those who love it or just don’t mind. If you fall into the first category this liver pâté recipe is not for you. But if you eat liver you should try to make your own home-made liver pâté as this is so easy, quick and yet delicious that you would want to make it again and again. Served with nice orange jam and water crackers, liver pâté is always a great success with guests for all kinds of drink receptions or cocktail parties.
Home made liver pâté
Home made beef or lamb liver pâté, easy recipe
Yield: 6-8 servings as a starter
- Beef (lamb) liver 500 g (1/2 pound)
- Shallots 4
- Carrots 2 medium
- Single cream 170 g (a tab)
- Thyme 2 sprigs
- Butter 50 g (1.76 oz), room temperature (optional)
- Salt, pepper to taste
1. Roughly finely chop shallots and carrots, put into the pan with thyme sprigs and sauté for 10 minutes in olive oil. Chop the liver into medium size chunks and add to the shallots and carrots. Increase the heat and fry tossing frequently for about 10 minutes or until everything is cooked through and soft. It does not take long to cook liver.
2. Remove the thyme sprigs, put the cooked liver, shallots and carrots into a deep bowl, add blend with the cream until totally smooth and creamy. Add butter if you don’t mind the calories, this will make the liver pâté tastier though. Now try some liver pâté and add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Put the prepared liver pâté into a serving bowl and then into the refrigerator for several hours. Serve liver pâté at room temperature with water crackers or celery sticks. Orange goes really well with liver pâté, it seems to enhance the taste of it. So I serve some orange jam or marmalade on the side. Enjoy the liver pâté and get ready to hear compliments from your guests and family!